- 1 large bunch (about 1 pound) kale – tender leaves cut away from the stems & the tough stems discarded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- airils from 1/2 (or a whole!) pomegranate, cleaned and rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated firm goat’s milk cheese
Hey everyone! So the first of the pomegranates are starting to come into season, and you should still have bunches of kale because, well, it’s Los Angeles and kale can grow all the time! I found this delicious and seasonal salad, with kale, pomegranates, and balsamic, to help celebrate the end of LA’s super hot months and the beginning of the “holiday season.” Winter totally exists here! Or at least, yummy seasonal, local salad does. 🙂 Whip a batch up for a lunches this week, or serve a giant bowl to family and friends.
The recipe instructions on RunningWithTweezers say: In a small mixing bowl, combine the Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and EVOO. Salt and pepper to taste and pour over the raw kale, which should be in a large mixing bowl so you can get your hands in there. Massage the dressing into the kale for 1-2 minutes until it starts to wilt. Add in the toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and mix again to combine. Grate the 1/4 cup goat cheese into the bowl and toss again quickly to combine. Serve immediately.